3A Explorers are used for caries and calculus detection, exploration of pocket characteristics, furcation’s and restorations. HARF INDUSTRIES explorers are hand crafted from surgical stainless steel, which provides flexibility and resilience for the most precise diagnostic procedures.
Purpose of Dental Explorers
A dental explorer or sickle probe is an instrument in dentistry commonly used in the dental armamentarium. A sharp point at the end of dental explorer is used to enhance tactile sensation. Explorers are designed to detect and assess:
- Supragingival calculus
- Subgingival calculus
- Anatomical abnormalities
- Dental caries
- Irregularities in the margins of restorations
Purpose of 3A Explorer
3A Explorer is used for deep periodontal pockets to reach the apical regions (there is a degree of flexibility in the wire to allow tactile sensitivity). Tactile sensitivity for light and heavy calculus, roughness and smoothness, sulcular soft tissue, junctional epithelium.
How to use Dental Explorer
- Use light to moderate pressure, but when discerning between tooth structure and burnished calculus then use moderate to firm pressure
- Stroke pressure is push and pull (apply pressure both on the up and down stroke)
- Basket weave of strokes in horizontal, vertical, and oblique directions
- Apply combination of Slow & fast strokes
Dental Exploring Techniques
- Lead with explorer tip and do not back up with it
- Adapt the side of explorer tip to the tooth surface
- V-to the D (posterior teeth) or V towards the midline of the tooth (anterior teeth) for correct adaptation
- For calculus obstruction, lift the explorer away from the calculus and move under it to get to the base of the pocket
- Overlap the strokes
- Roll with the fingers (thumb and middle finger) to keep the explorer tip adapted
- Activate strokes by using fingers to finger flex and wrist rock with hand. Pivot on fulcrum finger.
Stroke Direction for Explorer
HARF INDUSTRIES dental diagnostic instruments are manufactured with high grade surgical stainless steel. With consistent bends and second-to-none edge retention, these precision instruments allow you to work efficiently and effectively in providing quality care to your patients. Handcrafted with premium stainless steel, the long-lasting edges will retain its sharpness after multiple uses. Enjoy the benefits of ergonomic handle design to reduce fatigue and increase functionality.